Sunday, February 28, 2010

a veritable feast

Last weekend, the very lovely Kit came to visit from Minnesota - she flew in for two days in London, and there was LSG hanging out and whathaveyou. And she brought me a big fuckoff box of reese's

Nomnomnomnomnomnom.

Like any normal person, when faced with a massive pile of pb cups, I immediately think "cheesecake!". Duh.

I used this recipe, with the following changes:
  • 200g gluten and wheat free chocolate chip cookies for the crust, with 50g dove farm gluten free flour, and 100g of butter.
  • 300g cream cheese (because fuck knows how big they make cheesecakes in Houston, but nobody needs a whole KILO of cream cheese in one cake)
  • 3 small eggs (could have used two, thinking about it)
  • 75g soft brown sugar and 75g caster sugar (because I forgot to buy more caster sugar)
  • 50ml whipping cream
  • best part of a jar of smooth peanut butter (roughly 200g)
  • 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 8 reese's peanut butter cups
The base, gluten free for Ellie, who has coeliac disease but likes cheesecake:


I fucking love my little kenwood. It's actually awesome.


The only problem with so many cheesecakes, is that they need to be baked. So I did. And then I stuck it in the fridge overnight to cool.

Gareth approved.


However, before consuming the glory that was cheesecake, we had sort-of enchiladas. Fuck knows what to call them. Anyway. Here:
  • 3 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bits.
  • 50g cream cheese
  • a dollop of sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • juice from half a lime - 1 tbsp
  • 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
  • about 1 tbps chopped coriander
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • good dollop of salsa verde (see below for my version, which isn't salsa verde at all)
  • 100g grated cheese - I used a mix of mature cheddar, mild cheese and mozzarella
Mix all together. Place double spoonful in centre of corn tortilla, and wrap to form a tube. Put seam-down in baking pan - repeat 7 times more; if you do two layers put a bit of cheese in between. Cover with more grated cheese, whack in oven for about 15 mins on med-high heat. Eat with sour cream and more salsa verde:
  • 2/3 of largish cucumber
  • 1 decent-sized green pepper
  • 1 smallish green chilli
  • 7 garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp minced garlic paste
  • 1 small red onion
  • 1/2 a lime
  • a bunch of coriander.
Chop cucumber, pepper, chilli, garlic, onion and coriander. Mix together. Put about half of the mix through a blender to chop it small - include garlic paste and lime in the blender, use a good few glugs of olive oil. Let it sit for a bit. The longer the better - a few hours is ideal.


Excuse the lo-res iphone pics. It's too much of a mither to go find my cantankerous camera every time I cook.

1 comment:

  1. Oh... freaking yummy!! Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake! I'm going to have to live with the longing until I make it back to the USA. The power of suggestion will have me obsessing over those until I get my now-London hands on one!

    Thanks for the recipe. I'm totally going to try it.

    ReplyDelete